R.I.P.- Marshall Brevitz - Creator of Thee Image

A place to pay tribute to Florida artists, writers, producers, club owners, and disc jockeys who are no longer with us.
gabepenn

22 Jul 2005, 17:29 #1

I just found out that sixties Miami promoter Marshall Brevitz, co-promoter of the Miami Pop Festival, and the creator of Thee Image, the club that presented some of the greatest bands to Miami, was murdered. It's a horrible ending for someone who brought so much pleasure for so many that lived in Miami in the sixties/early seventies. Sadly, drugs claim another life. Let's remember the good days at Thee Image, as a tribute to the impact Marshall had in our young lives.
If you attended Thee Image and saw bands there, list them here, with your impression of what it was like.
Cream- I remember they brought Ginger Baker in a wheel chair. Since he was so thin and pale (little did we know that, that was Ginger!), the rumors instantly stated circulating he was dying. Baker played it to the hilt, even giving the crowd a feeble wave and sigh, before sitting on the drums and blowing everyones mind with a live rendition of his famous solo; TOAD!!
Frank Zappa- Wow, what can I say! It was Z A P P A!! Another righteous mind blowing!

Thank you, Marshall!

Bob Mihm

24 Jul 2005, 12:57 #2

Me and a friend named Larry used to hitch hike there from South Miami we could get in free if you would sweep up the floor and clean the bathrooms. Saw the Mothers, tiny tim , Turtles, Blues Image,
Kollection, I think I saw Iron Butterfly with Mike there but I am not sure

stratman

24 Jul 2005, 16:57 #3

I think it was the original lineup at thee image. How and why was marshall murdered? I saw Lovin' spoonful,the new yardbirds(page on bass) there. stratman

Lightshipclear

25 Jul 2005, 17:47 #4

What a great place it was. I saw Tiny Tim, The Mothers, Blues Image, Fantasy, The Kollektion and many others. In my humble opinion it was the best venue there ever was down there.
~~ Craig Reid Image
"Take Care Of One Another 'Cause We're All In This Together"

peggio

26 Jul 2005, 16:14 #5

I worked for Marshall at Thee Experience in LA. Most of us who left Miami worked for him and became part of a extended and loving family. There was never a holiday that we didn't all pile over to Marshall and Marshas to be fed magnificently and never left lonely. I last saw Marshall the Christmas before his death. He and Marsha had long since split and many of us had returned to Miami or just grown up enough to form other friendships and not be so dependent on one another. That year I had the party and Marshall as always was the cheerful Buddha, happy to be with old friends. It was not long after that he was hideously murdered. His legacy, aside from his two wonderful kids,Michael and Randi, was the happiness he brought to every one he touched. He will forever be an intrinsic part of the sixties and all the lives he made better by knowing him.

ithankyou

16 Aug 2005, 01:22 #6

Hey Bones:
No one could have said it better when I first posted the info about Marshall I saw much interest. You originally had tried to post and were unable, so I took the ball and ran with it. Marshall and Marsha were great peopl Marsha of course still is. Marshall never made me feel like a tag along with you guys at anyplace he owned as I was always made to feel welcome even as a young kid. You wrote a nice mini obituary here and I bet Marshall says thanks.
Your Bro,
Mike

peggio

16 Aug 2005, 13:19 #7

Hi Little Bro,
It's always good to see how many people were touched by Marshall and Marsha. Most of the friends I am still close to were brought together through them, starting in Miami and working across country to their first place on Carlos Ave. in Hollywood. That's where I met Jackie and some 38 years later she is still my dear friend. They never made anyone feel unwelcome. I love you.
Bones

Ailala

21 Aug 2005, 16:18 #8

I remember Thee Experience (which became so popular it closed to provide a bigger space) and Thee Image (a former 64 lane bowling alley). I believe the capacity was about 800. I was involved in getting rid of all the wooden bowling alley lanes. What a chore that was!
I also used to work at Thee Image after it opened (named after the Blues Image, of course) cleaning the girls' bathroom and stopping people from pot-smoking (so we wouldn't get closed down). Opening night, for three nights in a row (Friday, Saturday & Sunday), was the Mothers of Invention. I vividly remember first meeting Zappa during the day and him having a whole bunch of braids in his hair.
Bands like the Blues Image (the local regular band), Lovin' Spoonful, & Country Joe and the Fish played there, among many others. I was there the night Iron Butterfly played and heard about the discussion of Mike Pinera leaving the Blues Image to join them. Of course, that's exactly what he did. They were one of the biggest bands in the world, and most popular in Europe at that time. I remember the drum solo and the subsequent "collapse" fo the drummer (name...?).
When the Cream played there it was during Easter week, and on Thursday night, before Good Friday. It was SRO.
The Grateful Dead played the next three nights after the Cream played (they broke up shortly after that). The Dead members (Garcia in particular) were chewed out right in front of me that weekend by the two brothers (names...?) who went into business with Marshall to open Thee Image in the first place. The Dead had not drawn a crowd as expected and were blamed for the lack of attendance. I had never seen them play before but thought they were wonderful. The only song of theirs on the radio around that time was "Morning Dew." They were working on their album, "Anthem of the Sun." I had the pleasure of going to Criteria with them and they told me how they made their sound (with the grand piano part).
Luckily I hung out with them for their entire stay and they ended up staying over a week, playing two weekends.
Those were the days, my friend.....

Image Image Image Image

peggio

22 Aug 2005, 13:22 #9

Ron Bushy was the drummer.

Ailala

22 Aug 2005, 16:58 #10

Hi Gabe and Peggio,
Where did you find that information about Marshall's murder? I see nothing online about this topic except your comments. It is terribly sad to hear that is how his life ended. What else do you know about it?