Thee Image Club - Venue

AIRWAVEKING

10 Sep 2003, 16:46 #1

The club was owned by two brothers,they owned some drug stores and made suntan oil.The club was in two locations.One on the main land and one at the bowling alley on the beach.The list of bands is a who's who of bands.THE YARD BIRDS,ZEPPLIN (TWICE),GREATFUL DEAD,JEFF BECK,ZAPPA,CANED HEAT.The list goes on.They also put on the DOORS show at dinner key.

edocean

11 Sep 2003, 00:20 #2

5{nd I would drive from Hialeah a couple times a month for shows there. We saw The Mothers, Cream, Country Joe and the Fish and The Yardbirds. Plus locals...The Bangels and of course The Blues Image. I'll never forget my first time there, waiting outside in line and hearing Zappa's band playing "My Boyfriends Back" for sound check! If we only had camcorders back then.

elecbass4u

11 Sep 2003, 18:00 #3

Marshall Brevitz, his wife and his bro' (whose name escapes me) were the owners of Thee OZee, Thee Image, Thee Real Thing and Thee Experience. Marshall was the main dude. In the late eighties he was found murdered in a schoolyard in LA.
Besides the bands mentioned I also saw Rod Stewart with the Nicki Hopkins band and the Troggs there (along with many others). The Troggs ('Wild Thing') appeared in matching jumpsuits and played there twice...once with Jimmy Page on guitar and again with Jeff Beck!!! It's nice to be able to get good pick-up players!
Marshall had a club on the beach and one on the mainland but they weren't in operation at the same time.

DJ

Bill Gallagher

24 Nov 2003, 00:37 #4

I played in the band that opened Thee Image with Blues Image in the winter of 67-68. We were called Bougalieu (later Corners of the Heavens) and were a bash and howl garage punk band from Albany, NY. We had been playing in NYC at the Purple Onion the the west village and were tired of the cold, so we packed up and headed for Miami, not knowing anyone there. When we got to town we stopped at an AM radio station and asked where the hippies hung and were directed to Thee Image, which was still under construction and just about to open. We got Marshall Brevitz, the owner to give us an audition, he liked us and we played there January-March of 1968 as the opening act. We also played The World and Code 1. Heady times for sure.

JeffMiami

24 Nov 2003, 01:14 #5

Hi Bill,
Welcome to "The Lounge". I really like Bougalieu's record, and have always wondered why Roulette released two different versions of "Let's Do Wrong". I especially like the cruder, muddier version, but that's just me!
Did the band record (or release) anything besides the Roulette 45(s)?
Thanks,
Jeff"Tough times don't last. Tough people do".-- DK 57
Politicians are the only
people in the world who create problems, and then campaign against them.

Bill Gallagher

24 Nov 2003, 01:30 #6

Jeff,
Let's Do Wrong was the only single we did with Roulette, and I can't rightly say why 2 versions were released. That tune is now out on a bunch of compilations and still gets airplay here and there. Bougalieu broke up in 1969 and 3 of us formed Friends of Whitney Sunday which released some singles on Capital Records and an album on Decca. We were based in Philly and toured extensively until 1971. We all still stay in touch and threaten to reform for a 40th anniversary geezer tour.

JeffMiami

24 Nov 2003, 02:11 #7

I've used to have the Friends of Whitney Sunday 45 of "Hey Joe". Definitely an original treatment! Didn't that one also have a gunshot in it?
Hope that reunion happens. It should be fun!
Jeff"Tough times don't last. Tough people do".-- DK 57
Politicians are the only
people in the world who create problems, and then campaign against them.

Bill Gallagher

24 Nov 2003, 02:55 #8

Yes, that one had a gunshot. We did that tune at a bar in Reading, Pa one time and when the singer fired his blank gun some bikers in the room pulled their guns to be a part of things, and the bouncers pulled their guns, and the bartenders pulled theirs, shots were fired, I hit the floor and the room emptied and shooting continued in the parking lot. Cops never came. Ah, misspent youth.

Mike Dugo

25 Nov 2003, 02:39 #9

Bill - I have some live Bougalieu tracks from '67, and have been trying to find out more about the recordings. Songs include "Run Run Run", "I'm Not Talking", "When I Was A Children", and "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl." Rumor has it these are a portion of a longer live show.
Do you recall anything about these tracks?
Mike Dugo
60sgaragebands.com

Bill Gallagher

25 Nov 2003, 03:10 #10

Mike,
I only remember 1 show in 67 being recorded, and that was in upstate NY. There certainly may have been others, but I'd have to get in touch with the other guys to find out. Do you have any details on the tape you have? I'd like to get a copy if possible.